What is Interior Design?

Interior design is a multi–faceted profession in which creative and technical solutions are applied within a structure to achieve a built interior environment.

The interior design process follows a systematic and coordinated methodology, including research, analysis, and integration of knowledge into the creative process, whereby the needs and resources of the client are satisfied to produce an interior space that fulfills the project goals.

Feb 4, 2011

Welcome to Project: Interiors!

Hello Everyone,
I’ve been thinking a lot about this site- what name I would use, what it would be about, what kind of post I would write, etc. Being an interior designer, I knew it I wanted it to reflect my profession, but I still didn’t know what themes I would tackle. 

Initially, I wanted something like a photo magazine blog where I could upload my collections of design inspirations which I got from magazines and websites. But you can find a lot of sites like this already- some  put together pictures of different pictures- I would assume they take pictures of these themselves, others grab them from others sites and collect them together according to areas, furniture type, theme, etc.
So, then I thought of something more like Wikipedia that could aid professionals, aspiring designers and students alike. I haven’t come across any other site like this where they detail information about construction details, design history, color theory, furniture design, space planning, etc. I wanted an encyclopedia of knowledge that students, board exam takers, and professionals will make use of. 

I had my notes from when I was studying my major, and some hand-outs from some friends who took a board exam review. I could just type them out or something and categorize them accordingly. But then I thought of WHY I couldn’t it’s hard to find websites like these- intellectual property issues, copyrights and trademarks. I could be sued and all my hard work would be for nothing. There is a reason why they aren’t available online, that’s so you would by their magazine or book. If Time Saver’s would just publish their book, nobody would buy and then they wouldn’t have to come out with a new version each year.
But still I wanted to put up an interior design website. Another idea I had was to photograph shops, boutiques, malls, etc. I could then post critiques of their interiors, some details that made or break their design, what motif they were going for and if they succeeded. Sad to say, I don’t go out much. And even then, I’m sure I wouldn’t remember to take pictures everywhere I go (that is, if they allow me take pictures- some don’t). 

Some days ago, I was browsing Multiply.com when I decided that I really wanted to pursue my goal of having an online business. Designing was in my blood. I have done countless customized shirts and other arts and crafts- mostly for friends and loved ones. I wanted to cash-in on my talent. Possibly starting with making custom designs for t-shirts and jackets- not silk screened or heat transferred designs but handmade with a brush and ink. I already had this idea last year but never started it because of my busy schedule. I started looking for suppliers of shirts and jackets. Last was what my business would be names. I came up with  “project: DESIGN”.
 
What does this have to do with this site? It paved the way for naming this other project- “project: INTERIORS”.

I’m thinking I’ll just take pictures of whatever I items, furnitures, designs, interiors, etc. that catches my eye- whether because of how beautiful they are or how epically FAIL they are. Of course, I would explain my opinion on that. Possibly, I’ll also post some pictures of interior projects we’ve been doing/finished or feature products of suppliers that we’ve come to rely on and trust.

It’s still a work in progress, but I’m excited to start. 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment